"Kimchi" Chili Sauce
An anchovy fillet and some fish sauce mimic fermented kimchi's slightly funky undertones, but they won't hit you over the head with fishiness (we promise).
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
- 1 Tbsp. gochugaru (coarse Korean red pepper powder)
Hot chili paste (sambal oelek) is available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of many supermarkets.
Purée anchovy, ginger, garlic, chili paste, lime juice, vinegar, fish sauce, and gochugaru in a food processor until smooth.
DO AHEAD: Sauce can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.